Like a fine wine ...

My 55th birthday came and went and I marked the day not too gracefully. Every year, if possible, I spend at least part of my birthday alone in the Adirondacks. This year I packed up my kayak and headed to one of my favorite paddling spots

Photobucket

It may not be a jungle but its wild.
Photobucket

My kayak ashore at an Adirondack Lake launch site.

Photobucket

Wild Rhododendron "Pinkster" .

Photobucket

Loon

After paddling,I headed to Old Forge for dinner and a drink. I at at a local watering hole alone and had time to reflect. Here I am at 55 wearing paddling sandals, columbia guide pants,quick dry tank top and a windbreaker. My hair was pulled back in a pony tail and in a orange Merrill cap. A fashion plate I'm not. Do I look silly? I wondered. I'm the only I know who dresses like that. But that's me. I've always been happiest most comfortable, most "me" in outdoor clothes and happiest when I'm outdoors; whether in the garden, at camp or in the Adirondacks.

At 55, I still feel young, but my body betrays me sometimes. I can't walk as far. I wonder if I'll climb another mountain? Or go backpacking again? I'd love to take along trek or paddle and what about travel to other countries? I don't know if I'll have time or energy to do all I want to do. At 55, I'm at my prime in other ways. I haven't stopped learning. My passion for being outdoors, my love of photography, gardening, homesteading, family, run deep. My faith is strong. I know who I am and what I believe.





Comments

Popular Posts