Gluten Fee Multigrain Bread

MULTI-GRAIN BREAD

Several years ago I baked most of our bread, especially in cool weather. I bought 25lb bags of good flour. I always had a jar of yeast and a spare in our food storage area. I learn to bake fantastic loaves without a recipe. My hands knew just how much of each ingredient was needed and I baked by sight and feel. I made loaves of bread, and sometimes rolls, buns, doughnuts and sweet yeast breads too. Those days are over .. or are they? 

When I first learned that Walt was gluten intolerant, I removed all the wheat flour and bought a dozen or so containers to be filled with various kind of grain flours and starches. I have arrow root, potato and tapioca starch. For flours:  almond, amaranth, brown rice, coconut, flax, garbanzo bean, millet, oatmeal. sorghum, sweet white rice, and white rice. That, plus baking powder, baking soda and xanthan gum make up my basic GF baking pantry.

I've had these for a few years now but I have not baked bread, until now. I make lots of muffins. Pumpkin spice is my favorite with my home canned pumpkin. Other times I might make banana nut muffins or apple and a few time something special like peach or orange cranberry. I also make pancake mixs and bake cookies (not too often) maybe a cake or two and pie,, lots of apple pie or maybe pumpkin. But no brad. Until now. Why no bread? It's the first GF thing I baked and it did not turn out nice. It was a bad loaf of bread. I was so discouraged, I did not try again until now.

 
 My Baking Pantry


 MULTI_GRAIN BREAD (Gluten Free)

Serves: 1 large bread loaf
Ingredients
Dry Ingredients:
  • 1 cup millet flour
  • 1 cup tapioca starch
  • 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
  • 1/2 cup brown teff flour (amaranth flour would work well too)
  • 1/4 cup sorghum flour
  • 1/4 cup flax meal
  • 2 3/4 teaspoons xanthan gum
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
Wet Ingredients:
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon unsulfured molasses
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Yeast Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cup hot water (between 110 – 115 degrees F)
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast (NOT instant yeast)



  1. In a small mixing bowl, combine the honey and the hot water. Sprinkle in the yeast and give it a quick stir to combine. Allow to proof for 7 minutes (set a timer!) – NO more, NO less time. Make sure you have the other wet and dry ingredients mixed and ready to go when the 7 minutes are up!
  2. Using a heavy duty mixer with a paddle attachment, combine the dry ingredients.
  3. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, molasses, and vinegar.
  4. When the yeast is done proofing, add the wet ingredients to the dry. Stir until it’s a little paste-like, then slowly add the yeast mixture. Using your mixer’s low speed setting, mix for about 30 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bowl then mix on medium for 2 – 3 minutes or until the dough is smooth. (You may need to stop your mixer and scrape the sides of your bowl a few more times.)
  5. Pour dough into a parchment lined and well greased 9 x 5? metal bread pan (the only pan I recommend for this recipe is a metal one, you will not have the same results using other pans) and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise for 45 minutes to an hour (Check the loaf 30 minutes into rising. When the dough is close to hitting the plastic wrap, remove it; allow the dough to rise the remaining time uncovered.) When bread is finished rising, bake in a preheated 375 degrees (F) oven for about 30 minutes.
  6. Remove loaf from pan and allow it to cool on a wire rack. Allow the loaf to completely cool before slicing.

YUM



Comments

Popular Posts