Spiked Pears




During the cold months, when I don't want to leave the house very often. I enjoy the foods that I've canned during the harvest season. Yesterday I enhanced a simple meal of brown rice, frozen broccoli and sausage with a dessert of spiked pears. I savored every bite and made a note that I need to can much more of this next fall when the pear season is in full swing.

Spiked Pears

10 pounds pears
2 cups sugar
6 cups water
1 1/2 cups brandy or ginger brandy

Directions

Wash, peel, half and core pears cut in half or wedges Treat to prevent darkening. Combine sugar and water in a large pot; bring to a boil. Cook pears in the syrup about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; add brandy. Pack pears into hot jars, leaving ½-inch headspace. Ladle hot syrup over pears, leaving ¼-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

This should make 8 pints.

Comments

Popular Posts