Chicken Chores

I love having a small flock of chickens. Every time I reach for a freshly laid egg, it's like receiving a small gift. It's a moment of joy.

Chickens are easy to care for, not much work at all. I open the coop in the morning and they come out to a fresh bowl of water and a measure of layer feed. I do a quick head count, observe them briefly for signs of injury or illness. Then I open the coop and check for early morning eggs and inspect the condition of the coop. Several times during the day I will check on them, do they have enough fresh water, do they need more feed or maybe bring them a treat of scaps and scrapings from the plates. They sure do love scrambled eggs and milk that is going sour.

Photobucket

Today is nice and warm for this time of year. I am doing out to clean up and scape out some of the poo that is matted and nasty. I am consoling myself by thinking how beneficial chicken manure is for the garden.

Comments

Popular Posts