Brandied Cranberry Sauce

After thanksgiving I searched for bags of cranberries that were marked down. I managed to score almost a dozen bags at 99 to 50 cents each, Now that I've slowed down to the slower pace of the long winter months, I'm preserving food that I've stored. Last week it was the last bushel of apples made into many small jars of applesauce. Next week, I plan on canning enough potatoes to last the year. Today, I'm tackling the bags of cranberries. So far I have made 14 jars of brandied cranberry sauce. Then I will will make lots of cranberry juice and save some berries to freeze.

Photobucket


Brandied Cranberry Sauce
  • 36 ounces Cranberries
  • 5 Cups Sugar
  • 4 Cups Water
  • 20 Whole Allspice
  • 15 Whole Cloves
  • 5 Whole Cinnamon Sticks (each about 3″ long)
  • 3 Cups Apple Jack
  • 1 cup Vanilla Vodka (homemade)

Put the allspice & cloves into a spice ball or make a spice bag out of muslin for them. Combine water, cranberries, and sugar in a heavy pot. Toss in the spice ball/bag and cinnamon sticks. Bring the mixture to boil, stirring occasionally. As the cranberries begin popping, scrape off any foam just like you would in making jam. After the cranberries pop, about 10 minutes into the boiling process, add the brandy and return to a boil. Remove the cinnamon sticks and spice ball.

Pour the hot mixture into hot sterilized jars. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude.

Makes 12 -14 half-pint jars.

Comments

Popular Posts