May 21 Paddle

My birthday falls in May. For the last 5 or more years I have given myself a birthday gift: solo photography or kayak or hike in the ADKs.  Yesterday I paddled Twin Pond off South Shore Road, Old Forge. The pond was a nice little paddle.  The hemlock forest south of the pond I saw some ladyslippers just budding, a few blueberries, and hay scented fern (Dennstaedtia punctilobula). In the center of the pond is a bog. I was surprised to find wild calla also called water arum.  Also found in the bog were a few pitcher plants, bog laurel (Kalmia polifolia), and bog beacon (Mitrula paludosa).

Photobucket

Bog Beacon is small ( one to 2 inches) has a yellow or orangey swollen ‘head’ area held aloft on a white or translucent stem. Mitrula paludosa is a saprotrophic or ‘recycler’ fungus, which is breaking down dead plant litter.  It is found on the dead remains of higher plants, mosses and algae, this species is usually found in areas of seeping water. Thus ditches, slow moving streams, and sphagnum patches can all be productive places to search.

Comments

Popular Posts