The Pace of January

We have settled into a January pace. The beginning of the month saw most of the family sick with flu. We were prepared with a flu kit that I had put together in the fall. It's been part of my "STORE". The flu kit includes ginger-ale and apple juice, Lysol spray, alcohol, peroxide. tissues... and Oscillococcinum.

Now that all of that is behind us, I've settled into a January pace. I spend most of my time in the house, not even venturing into the yard. I get out to do grocery and other shopping, running errands and driving the kids to where they need to go.

Around the homestead, the pace slowed down. None of Decembers frenetic baking, shopping, decorating and making gifts. This is the month to order seeds, get caught up with mending and work on some big sewing projects. My current big project is a ....

BIG SCRAPPY FLANNEL QUILT

I saw a small scrappy quit at an out of town fabric store . I immediately wanted one for camp. I've been collecting 9" squares of flannel. Do you know how long it takes to select, buy, wash, iron, measure and cut 189 squares ? Answer: Way to long!

Directions for scrappy quilt. Cut squares of flannel to desired size (8" or 9" are recommended) Put 2 squared together back to back. If you want a warmer quilt, place another square inside. sew an X across the squares. when finished with all the squares join together.
Photobucket

Measuring and cutting squares of flannel

Photobucket
Collecting squares of flannel

Photobucket

sewing "X's"


Photobucket

Planning the pattern



2010 FOOD PRESERVATION

BEEF JERKEY
Two weeks ago I found Round Roast at the Market for $1.99/lb. I purchased two 3 lb pieces. I then sliced it as thin as I could. The slices were put in a marinade for 24 hours. I put the pieces of beef on racks and placed in a 170 degree oven. It took about 4 hours to dry


To make marinade, mix together...

2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce

2/3 cup soy sauce

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon onion powder



KIWI JAM
I found this in the Ball Blue Book. Here are the ingredients...
Photobucket
then you
Photobucket
measure out 2 cups
Photobucket
... I cook it up like any standard jam recipe.
Photobucket

How does it taste ? Well, I thought it was strange at first, but addictive by the third taste you're hooked.

Comments

Popular Posts