My Garden Still Surprises Me

I finally got a new camera. I had been wanting a DSLR for a long time, but it wasn't in the budget. Well, finally we were able to get one. It's a Nikon D5000. SWEET! I've only had it for 2 or 3 days and since Spring is here and my small woodland garden has wildflowers and some bulbs in bloom, I keep going there with my camera and have been doing some botanical photography. All the flowers that I'm shooting are only an inch or two or three high so I've been looking down low so I guess thats how I missed seeing a small pink flowering shrub. So this morning, as I was taking a break from shooting and walking down the woodland path, I saw a small shrub in bloom. Really, it's more like a flowering twig. I don't know where it came from and I don't recall seeing it flower before, although I do remember almost pruning the twig but I stopped because I did not know what it was. You have to understand, I lave a L O N G history with this garden. It belonged to my grandparents, then my mother and now it's mine. I grew up here and learned to garden and love gardening here.

My heart skipped a beat. It's called Daphne. ( Yes, that's the botanical name of this plant) It's a native shrub that blooms early spring and smells heavenly. It does not transplant well in to home gardens. I had wanted to photograph Daphne but I only know of one place that it blooms, off a trail through Kirkland woods and I'm not so sure that I could find it again. Now here it is and it's mine.

Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts